Children's Sunshine Appeal
2010 saw the launch of the Children’s Sunshine Appeal, a £5m fundraising project to support Chelsea and Westminster’s ambitious redevelopment of its Paediatric Services.
Following a successful tender to become the lead centre for specialist paediatric and neonatal surgery in North West London, Chelsea and Westminster committed £40m towards the creation of Chelsea Children’s Hospital. Working in partnership with us, the hospital has identified a further £5m of enhancements that are needed to cement the hospital’s reputation of providing world-class innovative healthcare for all.
Once funded and completed, Chelsea Children’s Hospital will house:
- Four new children’s operating theatres which will increase clinical standards of care, for example, two of the theatres have a revolutionary ventilation system to reduce the risk of patient infection
- Improved children’s wards including a streamlined children’s day care unit
- A 12-bed children’s High Dependency Unit including two high dependency isolation bedrooms with en-suite facilities, and a sensory room
- A state-of-the-art simulation unit to train plastic and paediatric surgeons from all over the
- Two treatment rooms and five examination rooms
- A Teenage Den to enable young people (who often suffer from attenuating mental health issues) to be cared for appropriately: we will create an environment off-ward solely for them to allow them to socialise with other young people and normalise the hospital experience
- A roll-out of a comprehensive set of therapeutic services, including performing arts such as music therapy, to reach a greater number of patients and wards
- Outstanding visual arts to create an inspiring healing environment for patients, parents, staff and visitors
- State-of-the-art technology including the first children’s surgical robot in the south of
Englandwhich will enable keyhole surgery to be provided for young patients to help minimise the pain of surgery and reduce recovery times
- An Ofsted-approved school
- Follow on services to prepare children for home, integrating care at the hospital with nursing and affiliated services in their home/community
Heather Lawrence, Chief Executive of Chelsea and Westminster Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, said: “I am excited that the Charity is launching this fundraising appeal to support our redevelopment which will improve services for patients. I would urge all staff, patients and our local community to support the Children's Sunshine Appeal because money donated to the appeal will enable us to go the extra mile for children and their families.”
We Need Your Help to Make All This Happen
For further information, please contact Kerry Huntington on 020 8846 6600 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.